Final Fantasy 14’s second expansion pack has an official release date now, albeit a rather distant one. The upcoming expansion known as Stormblood is scheduled to launch on June 20 according to Square Enix. The company revealed the release date during the Final Fantasy 14 Fan Festival held in Tokyo, along with a number of interesting details regarding the expansion. Among others, Stormblood will introduce new gameplay mechanics swimming and diving to the MMO, as well as a new job, new raids, and more. A breakdown of what’s coming later this year to FFXIV can be found below.
- New Job – Red Mage (DPS Role): The highly anticipated red mage job will make its debut in Stormblood as a ranged magic DPS, wielding a rapier and magicked crystal medium. A very mobile attacker, the red mage dives in and out of melee combat, assaulting enemies with red magic and short-ranged attacks. The red mage also has the ability to link multiple spells with chainspell, dealing massive damage and following them up with melee attacks.
- Swimming and Diving: This new gameplay mechanic will allow players to seamlessly enter and traverse specific rivers, lakes, and seas in both new and existing areas throughout Eorzea. Players will also be able to dive underwater in select locations, even while riding flying mounts. Underwater areas will not only include new gathering locations, but also will provide an opportunity for NPC interaction.
- New Beast Tribe and Primal: The Ananta, an all-female beast tribe, is the newest of the beast tribes to be introduced to the world of FFXIV. This ancient tribe resides in the mountains near Ala Mhigo and worships the primal Lakshmi. Known for their skill in spell and gemcraft, the Lamia will play a very important role in the Stormblood main scenario as their persecution by the Garlean Empire is revealed.
- New High-Level Raid: The Bend of Time – Omega was announced as the high-level raid series for Stormblood. Omega has surfaced within the main scenario in the past, but this menace will soon appear in full force. The mystery behind the appearance of Omega and the significance of “The Bend of Time” will be unveiled through the story surrounding this raid.
- New Alliance Raid: Two special guest creators were invited to assist with the design of the newly-announced alliance raid “Return to Ivalice”: Yasumi Matsuno (FINAL FANTASY XII / FINAL FANTASY TACTICS) will write the scenario surrounding the raid, while Keita Amemiya (Onimusha 2 / Shin Megami Tensei IV) will spearhead monster and boss design.
- Stormblood Theme Song: Legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu will return to create the main theme song for Stormblood.
Final Fantasy 14: Stormblood will become available to pre-order starting January 14 for PC, PS3, and PS4. Additional details regarding the upcoming expansion are expected during next month’s European Fan Festival, which takes place between February 18-19 in Frankfurt, Germany.
Latest posts by Xardas (see all)
- Vikings – Wolves of Midgard PS4 Demo Now Available - April 25, 2017
- Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide Gets New DLC Early Next Month - April 25, 2017
- Two Worlds II New DLC Coming Next Month, More Than 6 Years After the Game’s Release - April 21, 2017