Take-Two Interactive recently revealed their annual earnings report for fiscal year 2017, which ended on March 31st. Aside from learning that the company continues to do extremely well from a financial standpoint, the biggest news that came out of this report was that Red Dead Redemption 2 has been pushed back to Spring 2018. Quite disappointing, but not really surprising if we’re being honest. On the flipside, another piece of interesting news that fell somewhat under the radar may or may not have something to do with Borderlands 3. While not specifically mentioned by name, Take-Two did confirm during the report that a new highly anticipated title from one of 2K Games’ biggest franchises is scheduled to hit sometime during fiscal year 2019.
“That said, we still expect fiscal 2018 to be a year of strong earnings and cash provided by operating activities for Take-Two, despite an unusually light release slate, driven by new releases of NBA 2K and WWE 2K, our robust catalog led by Grand Theft Auto, and innovative offerings designed to drive engagement and recurrent consumer spending,” said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman and CEO of Take-Two. “Looking ahead to fiscal 2019, we expect to deliver both record Net Sales and record net cash provided by operating activities, in excess of $2.5 billion and $700 million, respectively, led by the launches of Rockstar Games’ Red Dead Redemption 2 and a highly anticipated new title from one of 2K’s biggest franchises.”
Borderlands 3 was officially confirmed earlier this year at GDC by developer Gearbox Software. The tech demo showcased at the event wasn’t all that heavy on the details but it did at least give us some idea of what to expect from the third major installment in the series. Obviously, it’s hard to say for certain if Take-Two was hinting at Borderlands 3 or a different title, but given that we already have a tech demo, it does seem rather likely. For reference, fiscal year 2019 falls between April 2018 – March 2019, so we could be seeing the new title as early as next year.
2K Games has a lot of other major franchises to work with, including Mafia, XCOM, Civilization, and Bioshock. “A highly anticipated new title from one of 2K’s biggest franchises” could very well hint at any of the aforementioned series. However, XCOM 2, Mafia 3, and Civilization 6 all came out last year, so it’s a bit unlikely (though not impossible) that 2K is already working on a sequel for any of those games, which only leaves Bioshock. Again, just speculating here, but if Borderlands 3 isn’t the title hinted in the report, then a new Bioshock game seems like the next best candidate. We haven’t heard anything about a new Bioshock game being in the works, however, but who knows. Whatever this new game is, we’ll probably hear more about it at E3 2017.
The last Borderlands game, known as the Pre-Sequel, came out back in October of 2014. Meanwhile, the last major installment in the series, Borderlands 2, was launched more than four years ago on September 18, 2012.
Latest posts by Anthony Spark (see all)
- Destiny 2’s Shaders and Bright Engrams are a Sign That Microtransactions are Evolving - September 10, 2017
- Check Out Hitman for Free on Your Platform of Choice - June 20, 2017
- Rime Developers Remove Denuvo as Game Gets Cracked in Record Time - June 2, 2017