As you may or may not have known, Yahoo had a pretty big interest in eSports for a while there. I say had because that’s apparently no longer the case, or perhaps the endeavor was not longer profitable for the company. Simply entitled Yahoo Esports, the branch focused on covering a variety of popular games and its content was pretty well regarded by those who knew of its existence. The company mainly focused on League of Legends, Dota 2, CS: GO, Heroes of the Storm, Street Fighter V, and a few other titles. If you didn’t know about Yahoo Esports you probably haven’t missed much, but if you did and enjoyed their content, I’m sorry to inform you that you won’t be seeing any more of it from now on as the company is shutting down soon.
“I want to thank the esports community,” said Travis Gafford, Head of Esports Media at Yahoo Esports. “As is often the case, there was a great deal of skepticism when a large company entered the esports space. You challenged us to create authentic videos and articles from familiar faces and names. With the help of teams, players, leagues, and publishers we strived to provide you engaging, entertaining, and informative content. In turn, you embraced us across Smash, CS:GO, League, FGC, and many more communities. Your passion and support drove us.”
Yahoo Esports is officially closing its doors tomorrow, June 16th. Yahoo has recently become a subsidiary of Verizon and is now part of a new venture called Oath, which also incorporates AOL. Moving forward, Oath will be focusing on expanding the Yahoo Sports brand and will presumably forego eSports entirely.
- E3 2017: New Monster Hunter Game Coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One
- Total War: Warhammer II Release Date and Deluxe Edition Announced
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord: Here’s a Closer Look at the New and Improved Combat System
- E3 2017: XCOM 2 New Expansion Is at Least Twice as Big as Any Previous DLC
Latest posts by Xardas (see all)
- Starpoint Gemini Warlords Update and First DLC Now Live - June 21, 2017
- Diablo 3 Will Finally Let You Play as a Necromancer Starting Next Week - June 21, 2017
- Black Mesa Xen Pushed Back to December, New Screenshots Revealed - June 20, 2017